Braiding is one of those gross tasks that isn't really that difficult in theory but in practice is actually just another form of masochism (ask my how I know). As I am one of those lucky souls who has braided enough to actually be good at it I thought I'd list some of the highlights (low lights?):
1. Pony manes.
2. Manes 2 feet long.
3. Yarn breaking.
4. Braids too loose--they fall out.
5. Braids too tight-- horse tries to kills you.
6. Braids too long (they look sloppy).
7. Braids too thick (they look sloppy).
8. Blunt cut manes (OMFG Kill me now).
9. Not having the right yarn type/color/length.
10. Horses who rub their braids ALL out.
11. Horses who will not stand still.
12. Broken latch hooks that get stuck going through the mane.
13. That person who tries to convince you that rubber band braids are acceptable.
14. Running out of Quik braid.